Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version from Football Insider or go back to LFC Live.
Credit: Imago Thu 21 May 2026 12:03, UK Shea Charles could be available for Nottingham Forest on a cut-price deal this summer amid Southampton’s expected financial troubles.The Saints were kicked out of the Championship play-offs this week over the Spygate scandal, which saw a member of staff caught by Middlesbrough after he had travelled to the training ground to record a session.Southampton admitted the charges but appealed on the severity of the punishment, a motion that was rejected by an independent panel on Wednesday. Middlesbrough will now play Hull City in Saturday’s play-off final at Wembley Stadium, while Tonda Eckert’s team face a four-point deduction ahead of next season, if the German is even in charge.Nottingham Forest transfer chiefs will look to take advantage of the situation at St Mary’s Stadium, which has left several players uncertain over their future. 🔄 Nottingham Forest Transfer Update 🔄 Breaking news on signings, departures, and contract news from the Nottingham Forest boardroom.
VISIT THE FOREST TRANSFER HUB MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES Why do Nottingham Forest want Shea Charles?Football Insider exclusively revealed last month that Nottingham Forest are interested in Charles, and they are expected to be joined by several other clubs.The Northern Ireland international will have just one year remaining on his contract this summer, and has enjoyed a brilliant season in the Championship.Shea CharlesStats – Championship 2025-26 (Per 90)Shots1.51Chances created1.16Accurate long balls2.32Fouls won1.85Tackles2.11Recoveries5.72Duels won6.36Southampton signed the 22-year-old from Manchester City in 2023 in a deal worth up to £15million, and they would surely want to at least double their money. Charles and the likes of Leo Scienza could be sacrificed for that reason, and it is fairly simple to see why Nottingham Forest want the former.The former Man City man has been key in the middle of the park – Southampton have not lost a Championship game since he returned from injury in January.And he has popped up with goals, scoring to knock Arsenal out of the FA Cup last month and netting the winner in the now redundant play-off semi-final.Charles has won 148 duels, 43 free-kicks, 49 tackles, 133 recoveries and has completed 20 successful dribbles this season, in a fine campaign for the youngster.What has Charles said about his future?Charles and Northern Ireland narrowly missed out on a trip to this summer’s World Cup when they were beaten by Italy in March’s play-off.
But Nottingham Forest should certainly not expect to have no competition for a player of the 22-year-old’s quality.“It’s background noise for me, really,” he said in April, when asked about his contract situation. I don’t really think too much about stuff.” Don’t Miss a Beat: Your Nottingham Forest Insider Access Updated 24/7 with expert analysis from the heart of the City Ground.
